Wednesday, September 30, 2009

 

Saying 'NO' to Bribe Traffic Police - 1

Within span of three weeks in this month I stood firm and refused to give bribe to traffic police who caught me, the outcome is really very interesting.

It seems you cannot take a `U` turn at the first signal when you take kathibara junction flyover in the road which leads to Ekaduthangal and instead take a right inside to Guindy Industrial Estate via Alacatel-Lucent office and get out via the Guindy Bus stop and connect to Guindy - Saidapet road.

However I have been taking `U` turn in that signal for the past one month without realising that I should not.

Scene 1) September 10th 2009 - Kathibara junction flyover - Time around 7pm

Traffice Police: Stop Stop Stop
Me stopping the car and parked it in the road side and asked him whats the problem

TP: Don`t you see that you cannot take `U` turn and its only right turn which is allowed in this signal
Me: Oops Sorry Sir, I did not know this and I have been using this for almost a month now

At this point the discussion continues and the TP wants me to show the papers. He takes me to the Traffic Sargent.

TS: You have to pay a fine of 150 for taking U Turn and your NOC is expired, totally pay 600 rs. (My no objection certificate has indeed expired and I did not know what to do to renew that.)
Me: Ok Sir, I will not take this U again here and tell me what needs to be done to get the NOC renewed.

TS: No first you pay the fine of 600 rs
ME: Ok, I will pay the fine.
Here I get ready to pay 600 rs and ask for a receipt

TS: (Shocked) Come on sir, ofcourse you can pay 600rs and earn that money again however that is not the point we are insisting things only for your safety. Think what would happen if you take a U turn and get into an accident, it is not good. So kindly avoid and do what you can (ie pay him bribe).
ME: (Refusing to pay any amount without receipt) Ok Sir, Its my mistake and I wont do that again, fine me for this offense or consider giving me a warning without taking any money.

The TP & TS realised I am very stubborn and not keen to jump on or take shortcut to not pay the fine. They finally said to be careful in future and let me go without any fine or money after 20 minutes of ordeal.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?